HIATUS. HIATUS. HIATUS. HIATUS. HIATUS.

Monday, June 11, 2012

Book Review: The Other Life

The Weepers: The Other Life
Title: The Other Life (Goodreads)
Author: Susanne Winnacker (Website | Blog | FB | Twitter)
Series: The Other Life #1
Publisher: Marshall Cavendish
Published date: May 15th 2012
Source: Netgalley
Rating: 3.5/5 Noodles

From Goodreads: 
3 years, 1 month, 1 week and 6 days since I’d seen daylight. One-fifth of my life.

Sherry and her family have lived sealed in a bunker in the garden since things went wrong up above. Her grandfather has been in the freezer for the last three months, her parents are at each other’s throats and two minutes ago they ran out of food.

Sherry and her father leave the safety of the bunker and find a devastated and empty LA, smashed to pieces by bombs and haunted by ‘Weepers’ - rabid humans infected with a weaponized rabies virus.

While searching for food in a supermarket, Sherry’s father disappears and Sherry is saved by Joshua, a boy-hunter. He takes her to Safe-haven, a tumble-down vineyard in the hills outside LA, where a handful of other survivors are picking up the pieces of their ‘other lives’. As she falls in love for the first time, Sherry must save her father, stay alive and keep Joshua safe when his desire for vengeance threatens them all.
****
When I read the synopsis, I noticed that it's similar to Shatter Me. You know, counting of years, months, weeks and days. The idea of being locked up in bunker is like the idea in Shatter Me. Yes, it's kinda similar to Shatter Me, but Sherry is different to Juliette. The Other Life is really good book.

The Weepers is not like the other zombies in other books. The Weepers are intelligent and some of them are like humans, but some of them are like beasts. The zombies here are different from the usual zombie you know. For me, the zombies here are creepier than the other books. Why Weepers? It's because the zombies here is like crying, they are like weeping.

Let's move on with characters, Sherry is not that awesome protagonist. She's good but plain. Sometimes, she's annoying because she felt sorry for killing zombie that almost killed her and her family. I don't know why she's like that. Joshua is better character than Sherry. He's strong, and he's willing to do anything just to protect his friends. Other characters are too plain.

The story is very good. The world in this book is really great. I like the idea of author to include some stories before starting a new chapter. The story is from a world before the Weepers exist. And I really love how the author put the big revelation before the end. That revelations made me want to read more.

Overall, the book is really great, but it's really sad because the book is too short. Hey, zombie fans you should check this out! I think you will enjoy this one.

Oh, wait! Look at that cover! Who's that person running? Is it Joshua? Hmm.. What do you think? XD
My actual rating is 3.5, but I rounded it off and gave it 4/5 instead. XD









Be sure to enter my 50 Followers Giveaway :)

7 comments:

  1. Hmm, The Other Life seems like a very interesting book. I'm not a huge fan of the zombie trend because it tends to scare the living daylight out of me, but I might have to check this one out. Weeping zombies sound different. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really awesome book, Julie! Hope you read it soon. :D

      Delete
  2. This one is on my to-read list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not into zombies but i will recommend this to my friends who are

    ReplyDelete
  4. Intelligent zombies? Yay! It's a bummer that its short, but I still can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete