HIATUS. HIATUS. HIATUS. HIATUS. HIATUS.

Monday, July 9, 2012

Book Review: The Loners


Quarantine: The Loners
Title: The Loners (Goodreads | Facebook)
Author: Lex Thomas (Blog | Twitter)
Series: Quarantine#1
Publisher: EgmontUSA
Publication Date: July 10th 2012
Rating: 2/5 Noodles
Source: from publisher via netgalley
Purchase: Amazon | The Book Depository

From Goodreads:
It was just another ordinary day at McKinley High—until a massive explosion devastated the school. When loner David Thorpe tried to help his English teacher to safety, the teacher convulsed and died right in front of him. And that was just the beginning.

A year later, McKinley has descended into chaos. All the students are infected with a virus that makes them deadly to adults. The school is under military quarantine. The teachers are gone. Violent gangs have formed based on high school social cliques. Without a gang, you’re as good as dead. And David has no gang. It’s just him and his little brother, Will, against the whole school. 
 
In this frighteningly dark and captivating novel, Lex Thomas locks readers inside a school where kids don’t fight to be popular, they fight to stay alive.
**** 
The virus thingy in this book makes me go want to read it. But unfortunately, the book is boring. Nothing special in the book and the characters aren't that awesome. And wait, where are the zombies in this book? :(

First of all, the gangs. The different gangs remind me of the factions in Divergent. Like in Divergent, the gangs reflect the character or the trait of a specific person. Dauntless, Amity, Abnegation, Erudite and Candor for Divergent and Sluts, Pretty Ones, Skaters, Geeks, Nerds, Freaks,Varsity and Loners for this book. And I like the idea of that gangs.

According to Goodreads, this novel is a zombie novel. I'm a fan of zombie novels, and I really love reading them, and that's why I'm so excited to read this book. But wait, I don't know where the zombies go. I didn't find any single zombie in this book. Maybe Sam is the zombie? But I don't think so. Haha. Maybe the zombies are in the next book? Lol.

Characters, let's start with David. I don't like him at first, but as the story goes on he became a good brother and a great leader and I admire him for that. But there are moments that I can't connect with him. Sometime he made some decisions that really annoy me. Will really annoy me at first. David is doing all his best to keep him alive, but Will didn't appreciate it. He is envy or jealous of all the things that David done, for all of David's achievements. But at the end I really like him. He did everything to protect David from the virus and from that Sam (the annoying varsity boy).

If you want a love triangle story, you should check this out. Love in the midst of hard life inside the school. The usual love triangle, The usual love triangle, Will loves Lucy, but Lucy loves David. I'm annoyed with this kind of love triangle, maybe because love isn't for me. 

The story is quite unique. It's my first time to read a dystopian book that is set in school. Plus point for that idea, haha. There are parts where the pacing is slowed and there are some parts that it became fast paced (I think in last few chapters -,-).

In a nutshell, the book was okay. I didn't enjoy it that much. I kept reading this book because of that zombies that didn't exist in the book. How I wish the zombies will exist in the next book. Lol. The ending is such a cliffhanger! And I will read the next book, and I hope it's better.

Cover comments: I really liked the cover. It is creepy and mysterious. 4 awesome noodles for the cover, but not for the book. Lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment